Background. The interest in the house of the Romanovs (the Romanov family) did not vanish, neither in tsarist times, nor in the Soviet years, or in the present-day Russia. In 2013 the 400-year anniversary of the accession of the first Romanov, Mikhail Fyodorovich, is celebrated. The history of the reign of each of the reigning houses is something remarkable for its own special features, each of the tsars has left his riddles in the history. For example, Peter the Great left a lot of mysteries on which more than one generation of historians has been trying to unravel for several centuries. The transformation of Russia under Peter the Great is one of the most important eras in the history of our Fatherland. The reforms became possible with the support of public figures of the number of the nearest environment of Peter. Tikhon Nikitich Streshnev is a prominent entrepreneur of the political elite of Russia in «transition period» from «Moscowґ s orders» of the 17th century to the innovations introduced by Peter the Great; he is a distant relative of the king and «his» people in the courtґ s everyday life. In the historical literature there are no special researches devoted to his activities. There are only small essays about him in the dictionaries published by D. N. Bantysh-Kamensky, A. A. Polovtsev. The purpose of this article is to analyze the main stages of the life of T. N. Streshnev, the political and public figure of Russia at the turn of the 17th and 18th centuries.
Materials and methods. The works of the famous Russian historians of the pre-revolutionary period (V. N. Tatischev, S. M. Solovyev, V. O. Klyuchevskiy, I. E. Zabelin), ones of the researchers of the Soviet and post- Soviet periods (M. M. Bogoslovskiy, S. K. Bogoyavlenskiy, Yu. Gotґe, V. I. Buganov, N. F. Filatov) were used by us. Chronicles, memoirs, epistolary, published and unpublished record keeping historical materials served as the source base. The principles of historicism and scientific objectivity amounted methodological basis of the work.
Results. The correspondence of Peter the First and T. N. Streshnev was investigated, which took place during the trips abroad of the Emperor, in the periods of the military campaigns. The special attention is paid to the ancestral land of Streshnev, located in Nizhny Novgorod region.
Conclusions. For Peter the Great T. N. Streshnev was a unique dignitary, competent in foreign and home policy of Russia in the late 17 th – early 18 th centuries.
1. Zapiski Ivana Afanas'evicha Zhelyabuzhskogo. Rossiya pri tsarevne Sof'e i Petre I. Zapiski russkikh lyudey [Notes by Ivan Afansyevich Zhelyabuzhsky. Russia during the reign of Sofiya and Peter the Great. Notes of Russian peaople]. Moscow: Sovremennik, 1990.
2. Bogoyavlenskiy S. K. Prikaznye sud'i XVII veka [Judges of XVII century]. Moscow; Leningrad, 1946.
3. Kotoshikhin G. K. O Rossii v tsarstvovanie Alekseya Mikhaylovicha [Russia during the reign of Aleksey Maikhaylovich]. Moscow: ROSSPEN, 2000.
4. Bogoslovskiy M. M. Petr I [Peter the Great]. Moscow, 1940, vol. 1.
5. Solov'ev S. M. Sochineniya. Kn. VII. Istoriya Rossii s drevneyshikh vremen [Works. Book VII. History of Russia from the earliest times]. Moscow: Mysl', 1991, vol. 13–14.
6. Polnoe sobranie russkikh letopisey [Full collection of Russian chronicles]. Moscow 1968, vol. 31.
7. Ocherki istorii SSSR. Period feodalizma. Rossiya v pervoy chetverti XVIII v. Preobrazovaniya Petra I [Essays on the history of USSR. Period of feudalism. Russian in the first quarter of XVIII centrury. Reforms of Peter the Great]. Moscow, 1954.
8. Bogoslovskiy M. M. Petr I [Peter the Great]. Moscow, 1946, vol. 3.
9. Bogoslovskiy M. M. Petr I [Peter the Great]. Moscow, 1948, vol. 4.
10. Filatov N. F. Goroda i posady Nizhegorodskogo Povolzh'ya v XVII veke [Towns and suburbs of Nizny Novgorod’s Volga region in XVII century]. Gor'kiy: Volgo-Vyatskoe kn. izd-vo, 1989.
11. Tsentral'nyy arkhiv Nizhegorodskoy oblasti (TsANO) [Central archives of Nizhny Novgorod region]. F. 2013. Op. 602-a. D. 45.
12. Klyuchevskiy V. O. Istoricheskie portrety [Historical portraits]. Moscow: Pravda, 1990.
13. Klyuchevskiy V. O. Kurs russkoy istorii. Sochineniya: v 9 t. [Course of Russian history.Works.: in 9 volumes]. Moscow: Mysl', 1989, vol. 4.
14. Rossiya pri tsarevne Sof'e i Petre I. Zapiski russkikh lyudey [Russia during the reign of Sofya and Peter the Great. Notes of Russian people]. Moscow: Sovremennik, 1990.
15. Brokgauz F. A., Efron I. A. Entsiklopedicheskiy slovar' [Encyclopaedic dictionary].Moscow: Sov. entsiklopediya, Bol. ros. entsiklopediya, 1991, vol. 62.
16. Rossiyskiy arkhiv. Istoriya Otechestva v svidetel'stvakh i dokumentakh XVII–XX vv. [Russian archives. History of Russia in testimonies and documents of XVII – XX centuries]. Moscow: Ros. arkhiv, TRITE, 2000.
17. Polnoe sobranie russkikh letopisey [Full collection of Russian chronicles]. Leningrad, 1977, vol. 33.
18. Iz istorii russkoy kul'tury (XVII – nachalo XVIII veka) [From the history of Russian culture (XVII – early XVII centuries)]. Moscow: Yazyki russkoy kul'tury, 2000, vol. 3.
19. Polovtsev A. A. Russkiy biograficheskiy slovar' [Russian biographical dictionary]. Saint Petersburg, 1909.
20. Zabelin I. E. Domashniy byt russkikh tsarey v XVI i XVII stoletiyakh. Kn. 1. Gosudarev dvor ili dvorets [Domestic life of Russian tsars in XVI and XVII centuries. Book 1. Tsar’s court or palace]. Moscow: Kniga, 1990.
21. Solov'ev S. M. Sochineniya. Kn. VIII. Istoriya Rossii s drevneyshikh vremen [Works. Book VIII. History of Russia from the earliest times]. Moscow: Mysl', 1993, vol. 15–16.
22. Rossiyskoe zakonodatel'stvo Х–ХХ vekov. Zakonodatel'stvo perioda stanovleniya absolyutizma [Russian legislation of X – XX centuries. Legislation of the period of absolutism formation]. Moscow: Nauka, 1986, vol. 4.
23. Bantysh-Kamenskiy D. Slovar' dostopamyatnykh lyudey russkoy zemli [Dictionary of memorable people of the Russian land]. Moscow, 1836, part 5.
24. Pis'ma i bumagi imperatora Petra Velikogo [Letters and papers of Peter the Great]. Moscow; Leningrad, 1946, vol. 7, iss. 2.
25. Pis'ma i bumagi imperatora Petra Velikogo [Letters and papers of Peter the Great]. Moscow; Leningrad, 1948, vol. 8, iss. 1.
26. Pis'ma i bumagi imperatora Petra Velikogo [Letters and papers of Peter the Great]. Moscow, 1975, vol. 12, iss. 1.
27. Pis'ma i bumagi imperatora Petra Velikogo [Letters and papers of Peter the Great] Moscow,1964, vol.11,iss. 2.
28. Solov'ev S. M. Sochineniya. Kn. IX. Istoriya Rossii s drevneyshikh vremen [Works. Book IX. History of Russia from the earliest times]. Moscow: Mysl', 1993, vol. 17–18.
29. Bogoslovskiy M. M. Petr I [ ]. Moscow, 1941, vol. 2.
30. Rossiyskiy gosudarstvennyy arkhiv drevnikh aktov (RGADA, g. Moskva) [Russian state archives of ancient documents (Moscow)]. F. 1209. D. 15651. L. 1.
31. Rossiyskaya natsional'naya biblioteka, otdel rukopisey, g. Sankt-Peterburg [Russian national library, department of manuscripts, Saint Petersburg]. F. 775. A. A. Titov. D. 4696. L. 71 ob.
32. Tatishchev V. N. Izbrannye proizvedeniya [Selected works]. Leningrad, 1979.
33. Got'e Yu. Zamoskovnyy kray v XVII veke [Zamoscovny region in XVII century]. Moscow,1937